Saturday 26 January 2013

Thorpe St Andrew Marshes

As a rule I like to update my blog with some photographs but didn't have the opportunity this time. As the sun shone brightly and the snow began to melt there seemed to be a bit more activity than in the past fortnight.
I went in search of one of the Water Rails that had been reported recently and encounted one in the dyke near the kissing gate as I approached the marsh. It exited the dyke, crossed the path leading to Bungalow Lane before disapearing in the boggy undergrowth. Far too quick for a photo opportunity!
The Broad was still largely frozen and all the waterfowl and gulls had congregated on the section that remained clear of ice. Large numbers of Tufted Duck, Gadwall, Pochard and Teal but nothing out of the ordinary.
It was whilst walking along the path adjacent to the river that I saw a single Goldcrest in one of the large trees. A first for me on this site! A Cettis Warbler briefly emerged from the reeds near the cattle pen completing a most enjoyable walk in the sunshine.

1 comment: